The objective of the program is labour market self-sufficiency for clients through self-employment. The means of achieving this objective are to provide income support through the provision of E.I. benefits or basic allowances and/or supplementary allowances, and to provide support through community organizations.
Types of Ventures
- The proposed venture must be full time, which means that the participant must devote at least 30 hours per week to implement his/her business and must also:
- be starting a new business; or
- be taking over an existing business in which she/he had no prior ownership;
- The participant must be self-employed and not be working on commission. Conversion from a hobby to a business is acceptable.
- must be suitable for public funding;
- the place of business must be located within the territory of Akwesasne;
- In addition to those previously stated under Eligibility Requirements
- Individuals eligible for Employment Insurance Benefits: currently receiving Canadian Employment Insurance benefits; have had a Canadian Employment Insurance claim in the past three (3) years or have had a maternity/parental leave claim in the past five (5) years,If Individual does not meet EI Eligibility requirement, she/he may be eligible under SEA/CRF.
- Individuals who have not previously participated in the self-employment assistance activity funded by A.A.M.B or Service Canada (SC) under a similar program.
- Individuals who have attended a training provided by an organization identified by A.A.M.B. / S.C. and have completed a self-evaluation exercise on suitability for self-employment.
Responsible for administering self-evaluation exercises to clients, determining personal suitability and recommending clients for self-employment, provideing support and guidance during and after formalized training and during implementation phase of business (aftercare). Organizations or businesses that wish to apply to become a Coordinator will submit a proposal.
- Income Support and Supplementary Allowances for participants [Employment Insurance]
- Administrative Fees for Coordinating Group [to be negotiated]
- Maximum duration of agreements is normally 50 weeks.